Monday, May 2, 2016

I created this blog to keep track of my diabetic journey. I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in January 2004.

I was prescribed 250 mg metformin to be taken twice a day and 5 mg lisinopril to be taken once a day. My doctor referred me to a dietitian who told me about what to eat and what not to eat. However, as the years went by, the doctors along the way increased my prescriptions till now I am taking
  • 1000 mg metformin twice a day
  • 40 mg lisinopril once a day
  • 10 mg glyburide once a day
When the doctor prescribed glyburide four years ago, she told me it was to help the pancreas produce sufficient insulin. I researched this and realized that glyburide is prescribed when the pancreas is not functioning properly anymore. That panicked me but I had no clue what to do about it.

I researched a lot about diabetes, insulin, blood glucose, pancreas, and how to take control of my diabetes. Along the way, I came across a lot of people who promise to "cure" diabetes and I am skeptical of such claims that are not evidence based. I found the following doctors' advice on diabetes to be interesting:
After reading all this literature, I decided on a plan of action to manage my type 2 diabetes.
  • Eat salads at least twice a day
  • Walk at least 10 km everyday
  • Do stretching exercises everyday
  • Climb 600 steps everyday
  • Do diaphragmatic breathing everyday
My goal is twofold:
  • Eventually reduce my current medications
  • Avoid having to resort to insulin injection

No comments: